March 10, 2009

Accessorize your Spring Fashions w/ Jewelry



Are you thinking of Spring? Now that the sun sets later, I have Spring Fever. I was at my local shopping mall and of course stopped to look at jewelry both find and costume at various shops. I did not buy any jewelry but went home to look at the pieces in my jewelry box and can not help smiling. I love each of my brooches, necklaces and bracelets and have a story about how I came across each one. I shop at flea markets, estate sales, antique stores and also trade with my friends.

Some things I have learned along the way is to really look at the condition of the piece both front and back. I think every vintage and antique jewerly collector will tell you a horror story about finding something wrong with their piece once they got it home. Some stones were replaced and they did not match, the safety catch did not work properly, lots of the gold finish was worn off...and the list goes on. Be sure to take your time and carefully look at the front and back of the piece. Make sure the pin or clasp mechanism works readily by testing it several times. Try to bring the piece into the light and look for missing or mismatched stones, missing enamel or broken off parts. Feel around the piece for rough areas. It could be something was repaired or a break. Most times you cannot get your money back so be diligent and you will be happy for a long long time.

Great vintage pieces never go out of style. Just pick up a magazine with celebrities such as "People" and you will see movie stars wearing vintage brooches, necklaces and bracelets. Most are fine jewelry but there is lots of costume pieces that were made to look like the real thing.

Wishing you a wonderful day!