June 21, 2009

Vintage Costume Jewelry: Newest Additions


I have been very busy adding new vintage costume jewelry to my shop on Ruby Lane and created a new video displaying them on You Tube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQTibc4KR-U

You'll find both signed and unsigned beauties from the 1940's to the 1970's. There is a wonderful huge enamel and rhinestone flower that is very much in the style of early Coro done in shades of Purple. Wedding cake earrings from Italy, faux Opal Gold filled demi parure, ocean blue RS brooch by Cathe' a company that was located here in California and so much more.

It is still amazing to me that although these pieces were meant to last a season or so, decades later they still are gorgeous and wearable. I love recycling these little works of art as they are a part of our American heritage. All these companies had manufacturing facilities employing a variety of people from designers to stone setters. The better quality costume jewelry has prong set rhinestones that required a person to set the stone and push each prong into place manually. Today, most stones are glued in and many of the stones are plastic rather than glass. I wear both vintage costume jewelry and contemporary pieces together from time to time for a really fun look.

Does your costume jewelry have any markings on the back? You can find information about the maker at the Illusion Jewels website: http://www.illusionjewels.com/costumejewelrymarks.html You can find things alphabetically and be sure to look at the vintage advertisements and the jewelry that they collect. I have used this site since 2004 and always enjoy browsing around. If your jewelry is silver, you can browse American and world marks at this website: http://www.925-1000.com/ I have found the maker's name for many of my pieces by carefully looking around this continuously updated site. Is there a patent number or patent pending marked on your jewelry? See if you can find the drawing on this site: http://jewelrypatents.com/
I also have these site as permanent links on my blog as I find them invaluable and I hope you do to.